- Research articles report significant advances in the scientific understanding of Earth system interactions and changes within the scope of the journal.
- Review articles summarize the status of knowledge and outline future directions of research within the scope of the journal. Before preparing and submitting a review article, please contact a chief editor for further information.
- Short communications report particularly concise and innovative/controversial perspectives on the Earth system.
- Peer-reviewed comments continue the discussion of preceding papers beyond the limits of immediate interactive discussion and are restricted to comments on peer-reviewed, published papers in ESD. They may be longer and submitted later than the comments exchanged in the interactive public discussion of papers in ESDD. They undergo the same process of peer review, publication, and interactive discussion as articles and technical notes, and they are equivalent to the peer-reviewed comments in traditional scientific journals. The manuscript title should start with "Comment on" or "Reply to".
- For manuscripts that are focused on one rather than multiple components of the Earth system, we recommend submission to the following EGU interactive open-access journals: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP), Biogeosciences (BG), Solid Earth (SE), Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), Ocean Science (OS), and The Cryosphere (TC). For manuscripts that are focused on past rather than future climate, we recommend submission to the EGU interactive open-access journal Climate of the Past (CP). For technical papers dealing with the description, development, and benchmarking of numerical models and model components, we recommend submission to the EGU interactive open-access journal Geoscientific Model Development (GMD).
- Corrigenda correct errors in preceding papers. The manuscript title reads as follows: Corrigendum to "TITLE" published in JOURNAL, VOLUME, PAGES, YEAR. Please note that corrigenda are only possible for final revised journal papers and not for the corresponding discussion paper.