Earth System Dynamics (ESD) and its discussion forum Earth System Dynamics Discussions (ESDD) offer an efficient new way of publishing special issues for measurement campaigns, conferences, etc. The individual papers are peer-reviewed & published as soon as available in regular issues, but then labelled as part of the special issue and linked electronically. The special issue can comprise any number of journals, the special issue editors can be the same or different in different journals, the manuscript processing follows the standard special issue pathway of the journal where the manuscript is submitted, all published papers are co/listed on a joint special issue webpage (in addition to the regular chronological volume of each journal).
The specific advantages are:
- Publication date is not limited by the latest paper/slowest peer-review process: every individual contribution to the special issue is published as soon as available.
- Efficient interactive discussion of the common theme on the ESDD website.
- Pre-publication of discussion papers in ESDD allows efficient cross-referencing between the final revised papers in ESD.
- All contributions efficiently linked and coherently presented on dedicated special issue webpages (an appropriate logo is welcome as *.jpg file) easily accessible from the ESD/ESDD Online Libraries.
- Guest editors can define the order of the published papers on the SI webpage.
- Either a non-peer reviewed editorial preface or a peer-reviewed scientific paper can be used to introduce a Special Issue.
- Print-version available upon completed publication of all contributions. A minimum order of 20 copies is necessary, and the price will depend on the total number of pages in the special issue.
The price per printed copy is calculated as follows:
Number of pages x €0.15
+ Softcover and Binding (€2.35) (Hardcover price on request)
+ Priority Mail (individually calculated)
= Net Price + VAT
Please contact the Copernicus Publications Production Office for an official offer.
To make arrangements for a Special Issue, please contact an ESD editor covering the relevant subject areas and an ESD executive editor (see Editorial Board and Journal Subject Areas). Please provide the following information:
- Title for the special issue;
- Names, affiliations and short CVs of the proposed Special Issue Editors;
- Start date & end date of submission;
- A statement of the purpose of the special issue (including information whether the special issue will include only invited papers or is open for all submissions within the scope of the special issue).
Responsibilities of special issue editors:
- Coordinate a rigorous peer-review process (at least two independent referees).
- Ensure that the English is at a high level, and request a copy-editing if necessary.
Please view currently Scheduled Special Issues or browse existing special issues following the links ESDD special issues and ESD special issues, respectively.