- Research articles report significant advances in the scientific understanding of Earth system interactions and changes within the scope of the journal.
- Reviews summarize the status of knowledge and outline future directions of research within the scope of the journal. Before preparing and submitting a review article, please contact a chief editor for further information. Depending on the subject and further characteristics, review articles are also eligible for inclusion in the Encyclopedia of Geosciences. If you are interested in this option, please see the author instructions and contact the editors of the encyclopedia.
- ESD Ideas present innovative and well-founded scientific ideas in a concise way (no more than two pages, including one figure or table) that have not been comprehensively explored. The manuscript should have a title starting with "ESD Ideas:", and the title should express the essence of the idea. The manuscript should have a brief abstract of three sentences or less summarizing the idea. The main text should not have sections and should not be longer than two pages including a maximum of one figure or table (about 1000 words). The number of references should be 15 or less; these are not included in the two-page limit. Innovative animations may be included as a supplement.
- Peer-reviewed comments continue the discussion of preceding papers beyond the limits of immediate interactive discussion and are restricted to comments on peer-reviewed, published papers in ESD. They may be longer and submitted later than the comments exchanged in the interactive public discussion in ESDD. They undergo the same process of peer review, publication, and interactive discussion as articles and technical notes, and they are equivalent to the peer-reviewed comments in traditional scientific journals. The manuscript title should start with "Comment on" or "Reply to".
- For manuscripts that are focused on one rather than multiple components of the Earth system, we recommend submission to the following EGU interactive open-access journals: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics (ACP), Biogeosciences (BG), Solid Earth (SE), Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), Ocean Science (OS), and The Cryosphere (TC). For manuscripts that are focused on past rather than future climate, we recommend submission to the EGU interactive open-access journal Climate of the Past (CP). For technical papers dealing with the description, development, and benchmarking of numerical models and model components, we recommend submission to the EGU interactive open-access journal Geoscientific Model Development (GMD).
- Corrigenda correct errors in preceding papers. The manuscript title reads as follows: Corrigendum to "TITLE" published in JOURNAL, VOLUME, PAGES, YEAR. Please note that corrigenda are only possible for final revised journal papers and not for the corresponding preprints.